Auckland Chinese Community Centre Inc has been organising an annual Chinese New Year celebration for over 30 years.
The Festival has grown in popularity over these years, and has now become a highlight of the Auckland summer events calendar with attendance by about 20,000 persons.
Our 2019 Chinese New Year Festival & Market Day to welcome the year of the Pig will feature the following activities:
– Grand Opening by Prime Minister at 10.00am with Dragon/ Lion Dance
– Over 200 specialist stalls selling traditional & exotic Chinese hot delicacies, Chinese New Year foodstuffs, Chinese traditional arts & crafts & promoting advisory services
– Extensive entertainment programme of Chinese cultural songs, dances & musical items
– Outdoor entertainment programme of martial arts, tai chi and other Chinese activities
– Other entertainment and games & rides for children
The event will be strongly promoted by our co-host Chinese NZ TV33 with extensive digital freeview advertising. In addition, we will have our usual Chinese & mainstream media promotion plus a new initiative with Chinese social platforms.
Therefore, we are anticipating an even larger public attendance at this prestigious event, which has traditionally been the biggest celebration of Chinese New Year in the Auckland central region.
This is a free event (with ASB Showgrounds parking fees) and is eagerly anticipated by many thousands of recent migrants from China and other parts of Asia because they can again experience the sights, sounds, smells and pageantry of a traditional Chinese New Year celebration which they enjoyed each year in their previous home country.
The local mainstream Kiwis and NZ born Chinese also enjoy the event because of the great entertainment both indoor and outdoor, the exotic variety of Asian food available and the wide range of goods and services displayed in the market area.
Applications are now open for both outdoor and indoor stallholders with details on www.aucklandchinese.org.nz and should be made asap because over 75% of the stalls have already been sold.